Saturday, October 20, 2012

Guesting at The Cameo Spotlight

I hope you're having a great weekend. I'm thrilled to be Guest Designing at The Cameo Spotlight Challenge. I've only had my Cameo a few months, but I use it all the time...it's in my living room (yes, I'm serious). I love it!



The new challenge at TCS is Halloween. I went out on a limb (for me) and made a home decor project. I never make home decor projects, but the Cameo made it really easy. I'm always inspired by the giant lollies and decor at Rhonna Desings, and so I ended up making a lolly:



First, I printed digital papers from the Horrified kit by Polka Dot Pixels on both sides of the paper (the orange paper is so wicked cool, I want to wallpaper a room with it). I used my Cameo to die cut a doily and two rosettes. I did take off the perforations before I cut the rosettes...it took a little more effort folding, but then the perforations don't show.

For the center, I die cut the Samantha Walker pumpkin image out of awesome black woodgrain paper from the kit. 

My two-year-old helped me with painting the wood veneer frame. Somehow he ended up with blue paint on his ear (note there is no blue paint--ha ha). We layered pearl, black, gold, and orange paints and covered it with a crackle paint. Here's a close-up:



I put the lolly on a similarly-painted dowel and used an up-cycled spool as a stand. Here's the full project:



For the spool, I kept it pretty simple. I used the same Basic Grey herringbone paper I used on the doily and the negative die-cut of the orange paper for the rosette. I also added a small strip of turquoise paper for contrast and a little twine:



Have a Cameo? You can check out the details of the challenge, including information about the prize from Gel-a-tins, over at The Cameo Spotlight blog. If you don't have any Halloween images, the Silhouette online store is running a special right now on Halloween images. You can make a card, a tag, or a home decor project for the challenge, so try it out!

A big thanks to Jackie with TCS for asking me to Guest with the super talented team. 

Thanks for looking! Have a great weekend.

Supplies
Patterned Paper: (herringbone from Little Black Dress) Basic Grey; (turquoise from Oct. 31) Fancy Pants
Other Paper: (orange, black newsprint, cream, and black woodgrain from Horrified) Polka Dot Pixels at Two Peas in a Bucket; (Premium Matte Photo Paper) Office Max
Die cutting files: (Antique Doily, 3D Rosette Flower Pointed, 3D Pleated Accordian Flower, Jack O Lantern Cameo Frame) Silhouette Online
Accents: (wood veneer from Heydey) Studio Calico
Fibers: (natural twine) PTI

13 comments:

  1. This is cool. Are we going to be able to see more cameo projects from you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the GDT!!!! Your project is GORGEOUS!!!! I absolutely loveeeeeeeeee your layered flower!! beautiful colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go girl! That rosette looks like it's about to blast off. What color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a colorful and fun Halloween decoration Jocelyn! Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer at The Cameo Spotlight! HUGS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOHOO for cameo!!![jealous!}

    Hah!! I love it ...so cool... hugs...xoxo

    psst...cant wait to see more of cameo projects!...

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO COOL! I had to giggle about the blue paint - how I know what you're talking about :)
    Such a fun project - one of these days I might do something home decor too. Every once in a while it's good to stretch! Love that fun spool, too - and hey, I have some spools.
    (Darnit, now I have to go play!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoop whoop on the GDT spot! This is one seriously cool piece of home decor. Love all the colours and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your GDT spot :) What a fun project, Jocelyn!! I'm also new to the Silhouette, so I will be watching your blog for ideas using it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Total FUN! (don't think I've ever heard of a lolly before.... we eat them over here, I think you call them candy)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, I was so excited to see you as the guest designer this week! Love your lollypop! What a fun project. When I read about the blue paint I went up to the photo again and thought, "now where did she use blue on this?" Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, congrats on your guest gig, Jocelyn! I love this, especially the combination of papers and colours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments!

Blog Design by Caked Designs